Questions about Migration from Enterprise to EON mode

BHIFPBHIFP Vertica Customer
  1. can we change shard counts? Our current Enterprise has 6 nodes, we would like to have 12 shards in EON. How should we do that?
  2. We will have two subclusters, one for ETL, one for query. On the query subcluster, we will generate new data and need to store them back to Vertica. Can we save/commit locally? If not, what is the best way to go about saving, without sacrificing performance?

Thanks

Answers

• SruthiASruthiA Vertica Employee Administrator

@BHIFP : How are you planning to migrate data from enterprise to eon? Is it via the function provided by vertica?

https://www.vertica.com/docs/11.0.x/HTML/Content/Authoring/Eon/EonInstallation/MigrateEnterprise2Eon.htm?

Is query subcluster a primary subcluster or secondary subcluster?

• BHIFPBHIFP Vertica Customer
    1. yes. It looks like we cannot change the # of shards to 12 without re-sharding our enterprise first? Please confirm the best practice.
    2. my understanding is the ETL has to be primary? Then the query subcluster will be secondary. Please confirm.

1) Yes. You need to add more 6 nodes to enterprise and then run the migration. you cannot do resharding in current releases. However we have a new feature request for resharding a existing EON database which is planned in near future. So next up coming releases will have resharding feature for EON databases.

2) Yes. ETL is generally primary subcluster and query subcluster is secondary.

going back to my question, how should I store data on the query subcluster, can I do it locally?

Still waiting for answer. Thanks

What do you mean by storing the data locally?

can you let query subcluster save data?

Not it is not recommended to use query subcluster(secondary subcluster) for data loading operations. For more information. please visit the below link

https://www.vertica.com/docs/9.3.x/HTML/Content/Authoring/Eon/Subclusters.htm#6

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file