Unable to set session params for awslib

I'm trying to export a table in parquet format to S3 using S3EXPORT() and am receiving an error I cannot resolve when trying to set the session params.

I'm following the instructions outlined in this support article:

https://www.vertica.com/docs/10.1.x/HTML/Content/Authoring/AdministratorsGuide/BulkLoadCOPY/AWSLibrary/configuringVerticaAWSLibrary.htm

I've generated my session params using SAML and when issuing the first command on Step 2 I receive an error:

ALTER SESSION SET UDPARAMETER FOR awslib aws_secret='<my_aws_secret_access_key';

An error occurred when executing the SQL command:
ALTER SESSION SET UDPARAMETER FOR awslib aws_secret='<my_aws_secret_access_key'

SQLValidation failure: mismatched input 'FOR' expecting '=' line: 1 position: 31
1 statement failed

I cannot figure outhow to edit that command to commit it successfully.

I am running Vertica Analytic Database v10.1.1-6.

I also could not determine if there is any other initial setup required to initiate awslib on the database.

Answers

• bdoucetbdoucet Vertica Customer
    edited November 2021

Thanks for the quick reply @SruthiA

I tried that command and received the following error:

[Vertica][VJDBC](4566) ERROR: Relation "keychain" does not exist; [Vertica][VJDBC](4566) ERROR: Relation "keychain" does not exist

@SruthiA in order to use the AWS Lib does our Vertica database need to be hosted on AWS? We used Vertica through GoodData which is our BI Vendor and Vertica serves as the backend.

@SruthiA in order to use the AWS Lib does our Vertica database need to be hosted on AWS? We used Vertica through GoodData which is our BI Vendor and Vertica serves as the backend.

• SruthiASruthiA Vertica Employee Administrator
    edited December 2021

@bdoucet : please set it as follows

SELECT AWS_SET_CONFIG('aws_id', 'accesskey');
    SELECT AWS_SET_CONFIG('aws_secret', 'secretaccesskey')

Thank you @SruthiA that actually worked and got me further along. Now i'm encountering an error stating that export to S3 is not allowed. Do I need to grant those privileges to the user?

Data export to S3 is not allowed. ProxyException(connectionId:f01301a6-f892-44ac-8974-050e781ded86, exceptionId:6a69caeb-eb6e-4ab0-8827-8fee7e5c1556, message:Data export to S3 is not allowed.)

• SruthiASruthiA Vertica Employee Administrator

@bdoucet : This error doesnt look like a vertica error.. if it was a permissions issue, then it would generally display a different message. Could you please check if there are any network issues?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file