Consider setting the configuration parameter 'TLSRenegotiationLimit' to zero

Hi,

Server version - Vertica Analytic Database v9.0.1-8
ODBC Driver used : 10.1.1.0

I am trying to use Vertica DB with Power BI. The PowerBI Vertica Connector seems to be using the latest drivers , however my Production Vertica DB sees to be of older version (9.0.1)

Now, I am continuously encountering the following error :

_“An error occurred during query execution: Renegotiate requested by the server. Schannel does not support renegotiation. For vertica server versions above 9.2.1, consider setting the configuration parameter 'TLSRenegotiationLimit' to zero. The connection will be closed. server closed the connection unexpectedly”
_

I get this error everytime I try to read data more than 2 to 3 million. Actually I am not sure if the volume is the issue!

The error message tells me to set TLSRenegotiationLimit=0 if server is above 9.2.1.

Firstly, On the ODBC DSN setting, I dont see option to set - TLSRenegotiationLimit=0

Secondly my DB is NOT above 9.2.1!

How do I overcome this issue? I cannot downgrade the ODBC drivers on our Power BI gateway server, to an older version as many other reports seem to be working fine with latest drivers. Please help!

Best Answers

• SergeBSergeB - Select Field - Employee
    Answer ✓

TLSRenegotationLimit is a db configuration parameter not an ODBC DNS setting. It does control the amount of data returned by the server before a TLS Renegotiation is triggered.

Unfortunately for you , it was only introduced in version 9.2.1 (the default being zero). Prior to 9,2,1 that parameter could not be controlled and the default could result in the issue you are seeing when reading larger amount of data.

The version of the ODBC Driver you are using is leveraging the schannel which doesn't handle TLS renegotiation, hence the error you're seeing.

9.0.1 is pretty old, you might want to consider upgrading ?

If you can't upgrade Vertica nor downgrade the ODBC driver, the only workaround might be to insure your queries don't return "too much" data.

• SergeBSergeB - Select Field - Employee
    Answer ✓

TLSRenegotationLimit is a db configuration parameter not an ODBC DNS setting. It does control the amount of data returned by the server before a TLS Renegotiation is triggered.

Unfortunately for you , it was only introduced in version 9.2.1 (the default being zero). Prior to 9,2,1 that parameter could not be controlled and the default could result in the issue you are seeing when reading larger amount of data.

The version of the ODBC Driver you are using is leveraging the schannel which doesn't handle TLS renegotiation, hence the error you're seeing.

9.0.1 is pretty old, you might want to consider upgrading ?

If you can't upgrade Vertica nor downgrade the ODBC driver, the only workaround might be to insure your queries don't return "too much" data.

Answers

• SamRockSamRock Vertica Customer
    edited December 2021

HI SergeB,

Thank you for confirming my biggest doubts! But atleast now I know its not Power BI (on which all fault [is still] being pinned). Since Vertica DB is production one and I dont have an control or authorization to upgrade it, I will go with the Driver upgrade route.

Luckily I was able to install ODBC driver 9.0.x on all Power BI Gateway cluster and so far haven't seen this issue resurface.

I hope keeping this version of ODBC driver would mean that I would not see this issue again.. right?? :)

Thank you so much again for helping me out!!

• Juaneve3529Juaneve3529 Vertica Customer

Hi @SamRock , did you also have the same issue when loading data into power bi desktop?
    Error:
    OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] ERROR [HY000] [Vertica][VerticaDSII] (20)
    An error occurred during query execution: Renegotiate requested by the server.
    Schannel does not support renegotiation. For vertica server versions above 9.2.1,
    consider setting the configuration parameter 'TLSRenegotiationLimit' to zero.
    The connection will be closed. server closed the connection unexpectedly
    This probably means the server terminated abnormally before or while processing the request. .

I tried installing the driver 9.0.x in my computer but i keep getting the same error when loading more than 2.5M Rows

• SamRockSamRock Vertica Customer

@Juaneve3529 said:
    Hi @SamRock , did you also have the same issue when loading data into power bi desktop?
    Error:
    OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] ERROR [HY000] [Vertica][VerticaDSII] (20)
    An error occurred during query execution: Renegotiate requested by the server.
    Schannel does not support renegotiation. For vertica server versions above 9.2.1,
    consider setting the configuration parameter 'TLSRenegotiationLimit' to zero.
    The connection will be closed. server closed the connection unexpectedly
    This probably means the server terminated abnormally before or while processing the request. .

I tried installing the driver 9.0.x in my computer but i keep getting the same error when loading more than 2.5M Rows

Make sure you are creating an ODBC DSN and not use the native Vertica connector in Power BI

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file