Options

Vertica Backup & Restore Between Ubuntu and Linux

Sahal235Sahal235 Community Edition User

Hi Everyone,

I have two servers of Vertica, one is Ubuntu and the other one is Redhat. My question is, can we take restore a backup of the Ubuntu-based Vertica database on Redhat. Ubuntu->Redhat.

P.S. In my opinion there shouldn't be any problem as both are Linux-based and the same script is being used for backup and restore in both platforms.

Any thoughts if anyone has tried this.

Best Answer

• Options
    Bryan_HBryan_H Vertica Employee Administrator
    Answer ✓

Vertica can be restored to different Linux distributions - this is common practice when migrating to the cloud, e.g. RHEL/CentOS to Amazon Linux. The only requirement is that you must restore the database to the same Vertica version or newer.

Answers

• Options
    Sahal235Sahal235 Community Edition User

@Bryan_H said:
    Vertica can be restored to different Linux distributions - this is common practice when migrating to the cloud, e.g. RHEL/CentOS to Amazon Linux. The only requirement is that you must restore the database to the same Vertica version or newer.

Thanks for your answer. That's really helpful. Apart from this, I have another question, I have upgraded the vertica to the recent version (11.0.1) and the database is up and running. After that, the installation of vertica console was also successful. But when i am trying to import the database in the console I am getting an error "Connection could not be established with the agent". I have tried starting the agent but the service of the agent is not starting and it's in the stopped state event after running the "Start" or "Restart". I am using ubuntu 14 and systemctl does not work in ubuntu. I am wondering if have any knowledge of this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file