Backup fails between Vertica upgrade steps

erkkikerkkik Community Edition User

Hi.

Here is my scenario.
My plan was to upgrade Vertica database from version 10.0 to 12.0
OS is Debian Linux if this matters.
According to documentation this should be done through upgrade path taking backups between each upgrade.

Steps:
1. Upgrade from 10.0 to 10.1
2. Full backup
3. Upgrade from 10.1 to 11.0
4. Full backup
5. Upgrade from 11.0 to 11.1
6. Full backup
7. Upgrade from 11.1 to 12.0

Steps 1-3 were successful but taking backup after Vertica was upgraded to version 11.0 (step 4) failed
with error "Mismatching digests.... Database may be corrupted."

But it seems that database runs just fine, no errors in database log but I can't take backup.
What should I do?
Skip this backup, upgrade from 11.0 to 11.1 and hopefully backup then succeeds?
Or is there some tricks I could try to get backup working?
Searched this forum and google, but did not find anything.

backup command was

/opt/vertica/bin/vbr -t backup -c backup_full.ini --debug 3

Backup config file and vbr log screenshots are attached.

Thank You.

Tagged:

Answers

• Bryan_HBryan_H Vertica Employee Administrator

Which exact version of 11.0 did you install? Did you use the latest available patch, currently 11.0.2-13?

• erkkikerkkik Community Edition User

Hi,

My goal is upgrade to latest version of Vertica 12 and my starting version was 10.0.1 (vertica_10.0.1-0_amd64.deb)
    In upgrade steps between first and last version you can skip service pack releases.

So I
    1. upgraded from vertica_10.0.1-0_amd64.deb to vertica_10.1.0-0_amd64.deb (OK)
    2. full backup (OK)
    3. upgraded from vertica_10.1.0-0_amd64.deb to vertica_11.0.0-0_amd64.deb (OK)
    4. full backup (FAILED)

Thank You

From documentation:

• Bryan_HBryan_H Vertica Employee Administrator

There's a known issue with backup in CE version 11.0.0. If the DB started OK, you have a 10.1 backup to fall back on so you can proceed with upgrade to 11.1 and 12.0, just realize that if there is an issue, you'll have to go back to 10.1 and start again from that backup, and also let us know if you need to do that or if everything goes OK from here.

• erkkikerkkik Community Edition User

Hi,

Yes, You were right.
    Taking backup after upgrading from 11.0 to 11.1 and also after upgrading from 11.1 to 12.0 went fine.
    I think, there could be note in upgrade documentation that taking backup after upgrading to version 11.0 there could be problem.
    Also error message "Database might be corrupted" in vbr log is somehow confusing.
    Excuse my English, it's not my first language.

Thank You.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file