RES mem is higher then memory_inuse_kb

I noticed RES mem is higher compare to memory_inuse_kb that means glibc is allocating more memory,is it a glibc issue?
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Alok_TiwariAlok_Tiwari Vertica Customer
    @sahil_kumar thanks for answering! also i can see from dblog, the arena size is high do i need to add export Malloc_Arena_Max=4 on each node.
  • dgrumanndgrumann Employee

This is an old discussion however our current ITOM software still says this: "You can tune the memory used by adjusting the MALLOC_ARENA_MAX environment variable. This parameter enables you to control the memory growth in Vertica. If you don't tune this parameter, over a period of time, the Vertica process may crash due to memory issues."
    Can someone confirm this defect was never fixed and all current versions of Vertica still fail without this workaround?

• SruthiASruthiA Vertica Employee Administrator

yes. it should be fixed in latest versions. Please check the below link to ensure that you have the glibc version which has all the fixes.

https://www.vertica.com/kb/Known-Issues-in-Linux-Kernel-and-Components-Vertica-Impact/Content/SupportNotices/Known-Issues-in-Linux-Kernel-and-Components-Vertica-Impact.htm

Well, the link to the Known-Issues-in-Linux-Kernel-and-Components-Vertica-Impact page shows this bug, 11261, as "Determination: Works as expected" which is not helpful at all! Apparently, it only affected RHEL 6 and 7 not 8 or 9. Both vertica 11 and 23 support RHEL 7.x therefore I suppose every customer on RHEL 7 still needs to unconditionally apply this manual workaround?

with latest vertica versions, it is not mandatory since we perform memory trimming automatically when RES mem usage increases. For more information, please check the below link

https://docs.vertica.com/12.0.x/en/admin/managing-db/memory-usage-reporting/

Thank you Sruthi for the 12.x pointer - and I see Vertica 11 doc does not have this link therefore, I presume, the MALLOC_ARENA_MAX workaround is still required for customers installing Vertica 11.x on RHEL 7.x.

Memory trimming feature is available in 11.x as well. please find the doc link below for the same.

https://www.vertica.com/docs/11.1.x/HTML/Content/Authoring/AdministratorsGuide/ManageMemory/MemoryTrimming.htm

GREAT to hear... so... what I am hearing is that new installs of Vertica 11.x ans 12.x NEVER need this workaround any more and so I will ask our ITOM SA IEs to remove the workaround from our docs.

as far as I know that workaround is not needed because vertica does memory trimming automatically. But, if you face issues, please open a support case.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file