When do I use the Import/Export Option of Backup / Restore?

I am trying to do an export (and an import) from one vertica database to another vertica database. These two databases are physically separated in two different clusters. Source vertica is version 5 and destination is version 6. I have tried both export and import function and I am getting following errors: Exporting from source: dbadmin=> CONNECT TO VERTICA dw_test_1 USER dbadmin PASSWORD ‘xxxxxxxx’ ON ‘npdwa1′,5433; CONNECT dbadmin=> EXPORT TO VERTICA dw_test_1.VH_090002.BUSINESS_LVL_DIMENSION FROM VH_090002.BUSINESS_LVL_DIMENSION; ERROR: NetworkSend: failed to open connection to node v_dw_test_1_node0001 (socket error: No route to host) ERROR: [dw_test_1] Execution canceled by operator Once the export did not work, I tried to copy from the destination as following Importing from destination dbadmin=> CONNECT TO VERTICA dw_dev_1 USER dbadmin PASSWORD ‘xxxxxxxx’ ON ‘npdwd1′,5433; CONNECT dbadmin=> COPY VH_090002.BUSINESS_LVL_DIMENSION FROM VERTICA dw_dev_1.VH_090002.BUSINESS_LVL_DIMENSION DIRECT; ERROR 32633: [dw_dev_1] NetworkSend: failed to open connection to node v_dw_test_1_node0001 (socket error: No route to host) dbadmin=> COPY VH_090002.BUSINESS_LVL_DIMENSION FROM VERTICA dw_dev_1.VH_090002.BUSINESS_LVL_DIMENSION DIRECT; ERROR 0: [dw_dev_1] NetworkSend: failed to open connection to node v_dw_test_1_node0001 (socket error: No route to host) Any suggestions?

Comments

• I was looking into ips of the nodes on the source and destination servers and I found that that ip’s are not ping-able from each other. I will update more once I found something.
  • After changing ips on both cluster and making sure that they can be pinged – I am successfully able to export data from one vertica cluster to another. Thank you
  • The purpose of Import/Export is to transfer a subset of data from one Vertica database to another, such as to create an analytics sandbox. The source and destination databases could have different topology and projection design. There is no support for incremental transfers. Backup and Restore is meant to protect the database contents due to media failure or human errors. It will copy the entire database, including data for all the projections and catalog metadata, and can be used repeatedly to capture incremental changes. If using Backup / Restore to create another database, it must be of the same topology as the original database.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file