Options

Function Hdfs() does not exist, in Vertica version 7.2

My understanding from the Vertica 7.2 documentation is that the HDFS Connector comes with Vertica 7.2, and does not need to be installed separately.  However, I cannot access this functionality because I get an error when I try to specify my table source as HDFS.

I define the table using this clause:

CREATE EXTERNAL TABLE
AS COPY
SOURCE Hdfs(url='http://10.153.1.157:50070/webhdfs/v1/hcsc/testData/er_demo/Cvt/rawEligibility/part-*', username='hadoop')

When I query this table I get:

DBCException: SQL Error [3457] [42883]: [Vertica][VJDBC](3457) ERROR: Function Hdfs() does not exist, or permission is denied for Hdfs()
SQLSyntaxErrorException: [Vertica][VJDBC](3457) ERROR: Function Hdfs() does not exist, or permission is denied for Hdfs()
com.vertica.support.exceptions.SyntaxErrorException: SyntaxErrorException: [Vertica][VJDBC](3457) ERROR: Function Hdfs() does not exist, or permission is denied for Hdfs()

I have seen that the only way to fix this is to explicitly install the HDFS Connector, but the documentation says I shouldn't need to do this.

Here is my database version:

SELECT VERSION();

Vertica Analytic Database v7.2.1-0

Comments

• Options

With 7.2, we don't have to install additional rpms to integrate with hadoop. But we still have to install libraries. 

You need to execute 

vsql -f /opt/vertica/packages/hdfsconnector/ddl/install.sql

and make sure there are no errors while execution 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file