Database Designer UI not responding to correct password

I am trying to access database designer through the admintools, when I provide the correct password there is no response from the UI. If I provide an "incorrect" password as expected I receive "Error: Unable to connect to database".

I have tail'd the admintools logs including errors while reproducing and I am not seeing anything. Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Jim_KnicelyJim_Knicely - Select Field - Administrator

What version of Vertica is this? After you enter the correct password, can you query the DB to see if a session is created?

select node_name, login_timestamp, last_statement, current_statement from sessions where client_type = 'vsql' and user_name = 'dbadmin' and session_id <> current_session();

edited April 2018

Also, there is a file named /opt/vertica/log/uiMgr-dbadmin.log that logs the admintools requests. For example, I launched admintools, chose option 6, then option 2, chose my DB and entered the correct password.

In my log I see:

Starting uiMgr at Tue Apr 3 14:00:43 2018

UIRequest: runFromNavigation('main',)
    UIRequest: showMenu(vertica.ui.Navigator.Navigator Instance, 'main')
    UIResponse: (0, '6')
    UIRequest: showMenu(vertica.ui.Navigator.Navigator Instance, 'main_config')
    UIResponse: (0, '2')
    UIRequest: listBoxSelect('Select a database for design', [('sfdc', 'dbadmin', 0)], ['sfdc'])
    UIResponse: (0, 'sfdc')
    UIRequest: passwordPrompter('Enter the password for database sfdc: ',)
    UIResponse: ('***********',)
    UIRequest: getInputW[('Enter directory for Database Designer output:',),{'defaultAnswer': '/home/dbadmin', 'width': 64, 'helpFile': None, 'height': 10}]
    UIResponse: (0, '/home/dbadmin')
    UIRequest: displayForm[('designName',),{'defaultValues': ['jim_test']}]
    UIResponse: (1, '')
    UIRequest: showMenu(vertica.ui.Navigator.Navigator Instance, 'main_config')
    UIResponse: (1, 'B')
    UIRequest: showMenu(vertica.ui.Navigator.Navigator Instance, 'main')
    UIResponse: (1, 'B')

• I found the issue by running strace, looks like there isnt enough memory allocated for passwords that are longer than 40 chars.

Solution use a password with 40 chars or less. :)

edited April 2018

Thanks for the update! This is a known issue. I will keep this thread updated when the issue is resolved.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file