Projection Permission and Ownership

edited July 2019 in General Discussion

version: 9.0.x
How come there is no ALTER PROJECTION... OWNER TO... statement available, but I get a permission denied when trying to read directly from a projection even if I have proper read access to the anchor table?

Comments

• edited July 2019

"Instead, the privileges to create, access, or alter a projection are based on the anchor tables that the projection references, as well as the schemas that contain them."

https://www.vertica.com/docs/9.0.x/HTML/index.htm#Authoring/AdministratorsGuide/Security/DBUsersAndPrivileges/ProjectionPrivileges.htm

Sounds like this is a bug.

• Jim_KnicelyJim_Knicely - Select Field - Administrator
    edited July 2019

Make sure the projection you are attempting to query is actually anchored to the table you think it is.

dbadmin=> SELECT DISTINCT table_schema, table_name, t.owner_name table_owner_name, projection_schema, projection_name, p.owner_name projection_owner_name, anchor_table_name
    dbadmin->   FROM tables t
    dbadmin->   JOIN projections p
    dbadmin->     ON anchor_table_id = table_id
    dbadmin->  WHERE table_name = 'test'
    dbadmin->    AND table_schema = 'public';
     table_schema | table_name | table_owner_name | projection_schema | projection_name | projection_owner_name | anchor_table_name
    --------------+------------+------------------+-------------------+-----------------+-----------------------+-------------------
     public       | test       | dbadmin          | public            | test_rep_pr     | dbadmin               | test
     public       | test       | dbadmin          | public            | test_p_b1       | dbadmin               | test
     public       | test       | dbadmin          | public            | test_p_b0       | dbadmin               | test
    (3 rows)

If it is, do you actually see different owners/schemas between in the above query?

• edited July 2019

yes, I do see different owners.

how do you fix an anchor table with projections from multiple owners?

Can you run the above query and show the results? Replace the table name and schema name of the table in question.

• oh you're right. the projection's schema and the anchor table's schema can be different

No. The projection and its anchor table must be in the same schema.

See:
    https://www.vertica.com/docs/9.0.x/HTML/index.htm#Authoring/SQLReferenceManual/Statements/CREATEPROJECTION.htm

If you are seeing otherwise, then yeah, you are hitting a bug. That's why you need to run the query I posted to check.

• edited July 2019

Yes, I'm able to create a projection where the projection schema <> anchor table schema. In the query you posted, I didn't see the projection I was looking for

• This will actually run:

CREATE PROJECTION my_schema_01.projection_name
    (columnlist) as
    SELECT
    columnlist
    FROM my_schema_02.table_name
    ;

version: 9.0.x

edited July 2019

What is the exact version of Vertica you are using? That is, what is the x? the requirement for a projection schema to match anchor table schema has been around since 8.1.1.

Example:

dbadmin=> create schema a;
    CREATE SCHEMA

dbadmin=> create schema b;
    CREATE SCHEMA

dbadmin=> create table a.a (c INT);
    CREATE TABLE

dbadmin=> create projection b.a_pr as select * from a.a;
    ROLLBACK 8139:  Projection must be created in the same schema as its anchor table

• Vertica Analytic Database v9.0.1-5

• Bryan_HBryan_H Vertica Employee Administrator
    edited July 2019

This works because Vertica silently assigns "test_b" to schema "test_a". If you run:

SELECT EXPORT_OBJECTS('','test_a.test_tbl_01');

you'll find the projection is in the correct schema 'test_a'. I tried to assign a projection to an explicit schema and got:

dbadmin=> create projection test_b.test_ba (myint) as select myint from test_a.test_a segmented by hash(myint) all nodes;
    ROLLBACK 8139: Projection must be created in the same schema as its anchor table

using Vertica 9.2.1-1 here. For the permission issue, you must also have GRANT USAGE on the schema to access a table and presumably a projection - do you have access to both schema? See GRANT (Table) documentation for schema USAGE requirement: https://www.vertica.com/docs/9.2.x/HTML/Content/Authoring/SQLReferenceManual/Statements/GRANT/GRANTTable.htm

• edited July 2019

I see what happened:
    The table was copied using the COPY_TABLE function where table owner ( User A ) and user ( User B ) who performed the copy were different. When this was done, the projections were copied as well but the ownership of the projections did not change.
    User B created additional projections for the table resulting to multiple owners of the projections.

As an improvement, maybe the COPY_TABLE process should also update the owners of the projections.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file