Monitoring backup

sebastian_bellosebastian_bello Community Edition User

Hi,

I want to monitor the backup process. I'm trying with
** SELECT * FROM V_MONITOR.DATABASE_BACKUPS;**
but I cannot find there the status and the elapsed time of it (see attachment).

backup_timestamp        |       node_name       |  snapshot_name  | backup_epoch | node_count | file_system_type | objects

-------------------------------+-----------------------+-----------------+--------------+------------+------------------+---------
2022-08-20 12:32:22.333987-04 | v_inswitchdw_node0001 | backup_snapshot | 8160451 | 1 | [Linux] |

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sebastian-

Answers

• sebastian_bellosebastian_bello Community Edition User

Hi all,

Any ideas?
    Regards,
    Sebastian-

Hi all,
    Any ideas?
    Regards,
    Sebastian-

• moshegmosheg Vertica Employee Administrator
    edited September 2022

Hello Sebastian,

1. You can confirm the integrity of your backup as explained here:
      https://www.vertica.com/docs/12.0.x/HTML/Content/Authoring/AdministratorsGuide/BackupRestore/CheckingBackupIntegrity.htm
    2. You can view backups in any of the following ways:
      a. List the backups that reside on the local or remote backup host (requires a configuration file).
      b. View historical information about backups using the DATABASE_BACKUPS systems table as you did.
      c. Via the vbr log file to check the status of a backup. The log file resides on the node where you have run vbr, in the directory
      Specified by the vbr configuration parameter tempDir, by default set to /tmp/vbr.
      See: https://www.vertica.com/docs/12.0.x/HTML/Content/Authoring/AdministratorsGuide/BackupRestore/ViewingBackups.htm
      Feel free to open a support case if this does not satisfy your need.

Hi!
    Thank you very much for your response.

1. Yes, I saw it. Just wanted to verify if the backup finished with no errors.
      2.a Ok
      2.b Ok, just that I cannot know if the backup failed
      2.c Ok, just don't know how to parse the file to determine if the backup finished with errors.

When using the Community Edition, is support included? If not, can we pay for support?

Thanks,
    Sebastian-

• moshegmosheg Vertica Employee Administrator

The Community Edition does not include support.
    Please use the following portal to ask for your local sales rep contact details:
    https://www.vertica.com/contact-us/

Ok, thanks!

• KennethAmanKennethAman Community Edition User
    edited January 2023

@sebastian_bello said:
    Hi,

I want to monitor the backup process. I'm trying with
    ** SELECT * FROM V_MONITOR.DATABASE_BACKUPS;**
    but I cannot find there the status and the elapsed time of it (see attachment).

backup_timestamp        |       node_name       |  snapshot_name  | backup_epoch | node_count | file_system_type | objects

-------------------------------+-----------------------+-----------------+--------------+------------+------------------+---------
    2022-08-20 12:32:22.333987-04 | v_inswitchdw_node0001 | backup_snapshot | 8160451 | 1 | [Linux] |

Any idea why is safety important ?

Thanks,
    Sebastian-

What is the purpose of backup and recovery control?

• SruthiASruthiA Vertica Employee Administrator

the purpose of backup/restore tool is to get the data back into in cluster when you loose data in your database due to h/w failures or disk failures etc.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file