Vertica and Tableau

ManMirManMir Community Edition User
How can I create a docker’s container that connect database in vertica with Tableau?
Tagged:

Answers

• Bryan_HBryan_H Vertica Employee Administrator

We support direct connection from Tableau to Vertica. Please see our guide:
    https://www.vertica.com/kb/Vertica-Integration-with-Tableau-Desktop-Connection-Guide/Content/Partner/Vertica-Integration-with-Tableau-Desktop-Connection-Guide.htm
    Please let us know if you're experiencing a specific issue with your Tableau connection.

• ManMirManMir Community Edition User

Hi, when I try to connect Tableau Desktop to vertica's db VMart through the container i have this problem:

But the drivers are already installed. Infact without the drivers I would not have been able to see this: :

What version of Mac OS are you running? Is it Intel or ARM (M1/M2/etc.) platform?

M1

• s_crossmans_crossman Vertica Employee Employee

Are you starting your container with -p 5444:5433? Vertica port for client connections by default is 5433

There's a known issue on Mac M1 (ARM) platform with libintl.8.dylib binary version. This will be fixed in the upcoming 12.0.2 release. When 12.0.2 is available, upgrade the Vertica ODBC driver and the issue should be resolved.

Thanks,so for now I need to start a virtual machine for works with Tableau and Vertica.Do you know when 12.0.2 will be available?

• edited August 2023

Hey everyone

Just stumbled upon this topic and I must say, it's intriguing to see the marriage of Vertica and Tableau being discussed. Personally, I've had some firsthand experience with these two powerhouses, and I can't help but share my two cents.

To Myanmar, creating a Docker container that bridges Vertica and Tableau can seem a bit like a complex puzzle at first, but fear not! The link given to you from the admin is a great guide to get you on the right track. I remember my initial journey with this connection; I was excited about the possibilities, but ran into a few difficulties, especially on my Mac M1. (like you). Unfortunately, I had an important project at that moment, and I found it a bit difficult...But we found a workaround with our team, and the project was delivered on time. The libintl.8.dylib binary version issue was a real head-scratcher!

It is my understanding that for those who have experienced a similar problem, there is good news in the form of release 12.0.2. Once it is released, updating the Vertica ODBC driver will be the key to getting things back to normal. Is this available yet? Can I upgrade?

• Yes, it is available, and you can upgrade. You can download from below link.
    https://www.vertica.com/download/vertica/client-drivers/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file